Saturday 10 August 2013

Steve Soucie: Long journey finally finds Wilmington's Tanner Roark in MLB

I make hundreds upon hundreds of predictions in a given year.


But nearly all of them are behind the comfort of my computer screen where I don't have to deal directly with the repercussions of someone who might not share my opinion.


I rarely step out of that mold, but I fondly recall one time where I stepped out of my duck-and-cover mentality in a restaurant in Springfield in the spring of 2005.


A burly gentleman in a Montini Catholic windbreaker was loudly declaring how the Montini baseball team was going to win a state title later that evening.


I turned around, looked him square in the face and said, "Sir, you don't have a prayer." Then I braced myself and waited for him to punch me in the head.


That punch didn't come, but he vehemently disagreed with my position for a while before dismissing me as a lunatic (not the first time that's happened).

No comments:

Post a Comment